Quests and Motherhood

June 30, 2009 by Rieshy
Frodo Baggins; Difficult, dangerous, and physically exhausting task set in front of him. No free time. Scary bad guys after him. Nothing but Lembas bread meal after meal. Failure = the end of the world. So why do I often envy him?

Difficult, dangerous, and physically exhausting task yes, but no multi-tasking. No wondering if he has his priorities straight, no quality versus quantity time issues. In fact very little thought required. Frodo just has to keep putting one foot in front of the other to fulfill his duties. When he does his job right he gets instant feedback. The tower of Sauron falls. The End. He's the hero forever.

Bad guys? They all wear black cloaks, and ooze, easy to spot. Just run away.

Nothing but Lembas bread? It's already paid for, fully cooked, is healthy and doesn't make him fat, enough said.

Failure = the end of the world? That one is a little bit trickier, but for Frodo failure would also equal his demise -so he wouldn't have long to feel guilt.

Lord of the Rings also has excellent healthcare, free of charge.

A Quest would be a breeze compared to Motherhood.


I hope going back in time is not cheating for Steady Mom's 30 minute challenge.  I vividly remember writing this very quickly- almost as a whiny prayer for mercy during a particularly difficult time with my little one's chronic illness.  Thanks to God we got through that time:)

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Amen! Sarah pointed me to your blog, and I love it! I wish I had gotten to know you when we were at Brentwood Hills (we moved back "home" to KY in the fall)...have admired you from afar and know you have lots of wisdom to share. Glad to find you here in blogland! I can so relate to this post :)

Rieshy said...

That's why your picture looked so familiar!

Kim & Dave said...

What a great post!

There is much in life that compares to Lord of the Rings.....

Susan said...

You gave me a good laugh...and Frodo also has Sam who will do ANYTHING for him. If I had a Sam and health care from elves, I could do anything.

Rieshy said...

Susan, I'm still looking around for a faithful sidekick who will carry the cooking supplies and work for free.

se7en said...

I am chuckling away... this is not my language!!! Have a good week!!!

Post a Comment