A Question of Prayer

December 17, 2009 by Rieshy
In many places I've lived if you want to say something negative you just say it. For instance, "Did you know Beatrice, the slob, has run off with a trapeze sales man?"

In the South you would say, "Bless her heart, did you know that poor Beatrice has turned into a slob and run off with a trapeze sales man?"

If you want to gossip in the South without appearing to be gossiping you might say. "We need to pray for poor Beatrice, bless her heart; did you know she's always been a slob and has run off with a trapeze salesman?"

Prayer requests can be a tricky thing for me. I don't usually have a problem with gossip- I'm too stuck on my own issues to worry overmuch about what anyone else is up to. However, I realized this week that often when I ask for prayer requests for my son Jack and his illness; I'm actually using the request only as a way to let people know that he is having problems again.

I'm using the prayer request as a way to let people know why my oldest son is ferrying the kids around to church and events instead of my husband and me. As a way to let people know that if my older kids seem tired or cranky to please give them a break.

What I've not been doing lately is asking with faith; believing that prayer can actually change the course of Jack's illness or even heal him. I come close- I can totally get behind the idea that the prayer of others strengthens me, gives me wisdom and clear thinking. But somehow, I'm finding myself lacking faith to believe more.

I still feel blessed. Every night of crisis, like last night's, that blows over with treatment at home. Every time Jack bounces back I feel blessed. I know God has a plan for Jack. I believe in prayer, intellectually. I believe that the answers to our prayers are often ones we would not choose but they are from our loving Father nonetheless.

I guess I even feel blessed to realize my lack of faith. I've never related better to Mark 9:24- Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief."


I feel amazingly thankful to read in Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are- yet was without sin.



Now I'm going to go get some badly needed coffee and read some posts from Thankful Thursday.









Posted in Labels: , | 4 Comments »

4 comments:

Denise said...

God bless you dear, praying for you and your son.

Melanie said...

I understand the faith thing all too well. I love you Susan and all of your family. Ask for prayers or tell us Jack is having a hard time. There's nothing wrong with either one. We can't know and can't help if you don't tell us (yes, I'm repeating it to myself LOL). Glad Jack is doing better this morning.

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

Wow, what a convicting post. Thanks for sharing this. Following you from MBC.

Rita T. said...

Thanks for sharing such good, and pertinent, thoughts. Have a wonderful weekend.

Post a Comment