Intelligent Design

January 14, 2010 by Rieshy
In "A Wrinkle In Time" Madeleine L'Engle brings up a very minor subplot exploring the idea of how the physical properties of our world require us to have certain senses; and how the design of our senses and physical bodies require our world to have certain properties.

As a child this always intrigued me.  It also made me wonder why God bothered to create such an intricate world with so many possibilities for sensory pleasure. My only guess is that God did so because God is Creative- literally of course.

I'm glad He is and that He did.  I thought I'd list my personal top 13, guilt free, rated "G", sensory-rich pleasures.

  1. The sound of my knitting needles clicking along when a knitting project is going well. (Alas, not a recent sound.)
  2. The sound of piano, when my children are playing from their heart and not just to get practice time finished.  
  3. The soft sighs of my babies when they are sleeping peacefully.
  4. The sound of any family member when they laugh a full out honest-to-goodness belly-laugh.
  5. The taste explosion that happens when I bite into a piece of home made fudge. (Home made, as in made at someone else's home; I make terrible fudge.)
  6. The feel of a hot coffee mug pressed against my forehead when I have a morning sinus headache.
  7. The feel of my toddler's chubby arms around my neck when he hugs me tight, and then the feel of his little hand when he pats my shoulder.
  8. The feel of fine wool roving as I draft and spin it into yarn.
  9. The sight of my 2 year old, last January, as an injection of D-25 turned him a healthy pink almost instantly; and the sound of the E.R. doctors and nurses cheering. (I've never adored the color pink so much so as at that moment.)
  10. The way my hand fits with my husband's hand when we go strolling the neighborhood.
  11. The smell of cinnamon rolls baking on a rainy, chilly day.
  12. The way it feels to swing as high as I can on the city park swings and then lean back so far that my hair drags in the mulch. (I love to do this. I do not love to watch my children do this.)
  13. The sight and smell of my climbing roses every May.




This post is linked to Thursday 13
As always, for Thursday encouragement go to Thankful Thursdays



Posted in Labels: | 16 Comments »

16 comments:

Melissa Lynn Shell said...

I loved your list.

Hootin Anni said...

two and three would be on my list too. And the one where your baby turned a healthy pink?.......love that one especially.


Mine are posted...funny as they may be perhaps, I dunno. Hope you can stop by for a visit today! HERE they ARE And you'll need to scroll down below my Thursday Thunks Meme answers to find my 13 list!!

CountryDew said...

What a great list and commentary on life. These are the moments to cherish and rejoice in. Thanks for sharing.

My TT is at http://bluecountrymagic.blogspot.com

i beati said...

the fact that you are so in tune with your senses is monumental. so many people skip through life and never get it !!

Unknown said...

This is a lovely list. Life's simple pleasures.

Happy T13!

Americanising Desi said...

that soft sigh had me sighing :)

The Extremes

Barbara said...

What a wonderful list. These are the real pleasures of life.

Grandma said...

As the song says, "the best things in life are free". Your post today was surely one of those things. Thanks.

Things I'm Not Writing About

jo.attalife said...

Can't agree more! I believe our Creator made the vast variety of everything on earth and way, way beyond just for the sheer joy of creating and expressing Himself. I feel we share that 'creative gene' in our hobbies, in our lives, in everything we do as homemakers.
Thanks for your list -- you have your senses finely tuned to the presence of the divine.

Denise said...

Sweet blessings.

Bonita Rose said...

wonderful.. I wanna learn to knit this year.. it's on my list!!!

Melanie said...

Thanks so much for this list. It is lovely. Maybe I'll do one of my own : )

soleil said...

swinging is fun. i like baking smells and the feel of being wrapped in blankets on a cold day.

Norma said...

What a wonderful, expressive list, so full of memories we can all enjoy.

Journeywoman said...

Great List. I love a Wrinkle in Time

Unknown said...

Oh Susan,

You and I share the same heart. I love all of these things too and it was like I was there when that pink came about and the nurses were cheering. I could just see it.

Wonderful writing and taking me places with the senses. Your list touches me where we live. THANK YOU.

God bless and see you again next week, Hugs, Lynn

Post a Comment