Juice Glasses

March 23, 2010 by Rieshy


For family birthday breakfasts I always make cinnamon rolls from scratch. Sunday was my oldest child's birthday.  Unfortunately, Sunday is not the best day for a birthday in our family because of the morning scramble to get to church services. 
 
A Sunday birthday means scratch the cinnamon rolls from scratch.  This Sunday, for my son's 18th birthday, I barely had time to make cinnamon toast with store bought bread- not even fancy store bought bread.  Nor did I have time for china and the good silverware.  In truth I don't think all the plates even matched.  But I did pull out the juice glasses from my Grandmother.


Every child that stumbled through the kitchen still bleary eyed with sleep took one look at the glasses on the table and got excited. That's when I discovered that these silly glasses are an important harbinger of celebration for my children. 

After our meager meal, my 18 yo son turned to me, and without a trace of sarcasm said, "Thanks, this was a really nice." I'm sure it wasn't the two pieces of toast he was thanking me for. 

I think he was thanking me for the glasses.  Well, not really the glasses- but what they symbolized... celebration, family memories, tradition, and being honored.

My son's spoken gratitude was the best gift I've unwrapped in quite a while.  It far outstrips the small itunes gift card my husband and I gave him.


I love going to Tuesdays Unwrapped!
Steady Mom also has a great 30 Minute Challenge. This post took every minute of the 30:)


Posted in Labels: | 11 Comments »

11 comments:

Between You and Me said...

love this post....LOVE your blog....

Between You and Me said...

can't wait to spend time here..I've got things I can learn from you.... now a proud follower!

Southern Gal said...

Isn't it amazing how children bring us back to reality? They only want our love and attention. This is a beautiful example.

Trisha said...

So, so sweet! That's a thank you that will echo in your heart's memory forever.

My Mercurial Nature said...

What a beautiful post and, wow, a thankful child always warms the heart. And I love those juice glasses!

Sarah said...

This really inspires me. We are just at the place to start figuring out family traditions and I love that something so simple can make family feel so loved!

Kelli said...

Oh to be like a child!! The simplicity in which they view most things is a gift and one that we can unwrap daily!

Kerilyn said...

You are making great memories for your children. Memories that serve as lovely little treasures. I love those juice glasses btw...a treasure in themselves. My mom used to serve my sister and I chocolate pudding or tapioca in my grandmother's "martini" glasses. Very special.

Joy@TPMG said...

This was a great post. What a great tradition. I think that was wonderful that your son recognized the importance and sentiment behind the tradition to.

Juliana said...

This was sooo sweet!!!!


I am following you from MBC with FFF. I hope that you will come back and follow back. Have a great week!

se7en said...

IT is so true - it really is the small things that make the fondest memories!!! Hope he has a great year!!!

Post a Comment