An Open Letter To An Unknown Mutation

March 28, 2010 by Rieshy




I had plans Saturday.  Our family was going to the Full Moon Film Festival Award's Night.  Just when I think you are gone for good you have to show up.  


Unknown Mutation, Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorder, relic from the fall of man- I don't like you.  It's your fault that my 4 yo couldn't wake up to get ready to go.  


My husband called, out of town, and running late; he couldn't make it home in time...


I hang up to check 4 yo's blood sugar.  It's your fault it drops so low.  


It had only been 2 hours since his last snack.  He should have been fine.  Again, your fault.


The way my son lay on his side, eyes staring, pupils too large, refusing to drink or eat, your fault.


The screetchy crying that everyone in the family hates, your fault.


I sent the teens out the door without me, without their Dad.  Go win an award son...


Carbohydrates later, 4 yo is fine.  He's happy and energetic. He doesn't remember his own drama, the drama you cause.  I'm drained, angry, sad, worried- but mostly just tired.


I realize that if we had not been trying to leave for the film festival I would not have had to wake my 4 yo.  It could have been too late. So there, FOD, take that!  There are forces working to defeat you.


I have no tidy wrap-up for this story.   I just know I don't like you FOD.


I will do my best to defeat you too.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




My 18 yo was obedient.  He and his film partner won 3rd place overall, and 1st place in the "mockumentary" category. Wahoo for them!










Posted in Labels: , | 11 Comments »

11 comments:

Betsy said...

Congratulations to your 18 year old son on his award. I am so sorry about your 4 year old, but thankful you caught the drop in blood sugar. I hate FODs!!!

Melanie said...

So sorry you had another round of this, but what a blessing you had to wake him. Congratulations to L! FOD must be defeated.

Rieshy said...

Thanks Betsy- I know you can relate!

Thanks Melanie, you know what the ringer is like too.

Btw, I will be uploading my son's short film.
He came home so jazzed up and ready to start his next project.

Anonymous said...

It is a blessing you did have to wake him. But stinks nonetheless.

YAY for your future filmmaker!!!!!!!

Susan Fobes said...

I am really curious about what makes a "mockumentary"... Hats off to your son and best wishes for your future fights against FOD!

Rieshy said...

A spoof documentary is a mockumentary. Think Spinal Tap. Only much much shorter... with no budget... and without professional gear...

J.B. said...

COngrats to you and your son. Keep on truckin'

Unknown said...

I must admit that when I first started reading I thought you were joking- I had not heard of FAtty Acid ... disorder- now I know. Thanks for the eye opener- and congrats to the son too!!Followin now from Connect MEme Monday- stop by my place when you can!

Carey said...

Just found your site through POM meme monday. I'm so sorry about your son! But Praise God that you caugt it in time!
I would love for you to stop by & visit sometime! I also have a great giveaway going on right now!

Rieshy said...

Aphrodite- I thought the title was funny too- not to be misleading- sorry:) I just tend to laugh at everything...

CristyLynn said...

So glad that your little boy is ok! And congrats to your graduate! :) I look forward to seeing his film.
Praying you can get some rest again--it's amazing how drained you can feel after such an experience.

Post a Comment