It's All New To Me

October 26, 2010 by Rieshy
.

Sunday afternoon I had a "first".  I went to a baby shower for the grown daughter of my friend, Kathy.  Let me emphasize, the honored shower-ee was the grown daughter of a friend.

I sat in a chair in their beautiful front yard, clutching my plate of snacks, looking around.  I realized that I, complete with my reading glasses perched as a headband in my hair, was an, "older woman".

Wow.  When did that happen?

Wow.  I wish I felt wise.

Wow.  How cool.

Wow, I'm still daily engaged in the latest sippy-cup technologies shifts as I still have a 2 year old to raise.  I never expected to be older with a toddler.


My friend's daughter is going to be an excellent mom.  I've rarely met a woman who enjoys life more or is so exceedingly thankful and happy.  Her baby will be surrounded by smiles.


I have no deep insights about aging.  Even though I've been doing it for a while, I only just noticed.  It's all new territory.  I'm just along for the ride... So far, excluding gravity's pernicious work, it's pretty exciting.

------------

I do have enough wisdom to know that when I finally need to throw showers for my own children, I'll be calling my friend Kathy and asking her to help me with ideas.


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet that did feel odd. I feel young in my head, but I am not. My daughter's teacher this year is 23 and she makes me feel old(er). Just the way she talks to me. It is weird.

Unknown said...

Um, I beg to differ on the amount of wisdom you claim to have.

Post a Comment