Speaking of Learning Styles

January 13, 2011 by Rieshy
.

I took a vocational apptitude test when I was a junior in high school. It was supposed to help me chose a college major. It was well worth my time.  I learned that the profession I was most apt to enjoy and succeed in was as a professional watch maker. 

No lie. That was the official result.

Because soooo many colleges in the U.S. have watch making departments.  Don't you constantly bump into happily educated and employed watch makers?

Today, I take a rather resistant high school junior to a vocational aptitude test.  I've not shared with her the watch making story.... yet, however, she is already convinced that the test will be a waste of her time.

Today, I hope will be more successful than my testing so many years ago.  Today, I hope will open up new ideas for her.  Today, I hope I will bring home a child that thinks, "Gee, Mom is so smart.  I've learned so much about myself."

If instead, I bring home a daughter that has learned she should major in Concrete, I will never hear the end of it, and I will have learned that my learning style is that I don't learn from experience.




.
Posted in Labels: , | 2 Comments »

2 comments:

CristyLynn said...

Ahh, both my kids are napping at the same time (miracle!), so I have a moment to catch up on some of my favorite reading, which was way more fun than doing any of my own blogging.
I took the ASVAB in high school, and it said that I should be a mechanic. I'm not now nor ever plan to be a mechanic, especially in the Navy. I like my job much more than that!

Christina said...

Oh that is sooo funny! I don't remember the actual profession that was recommended for me, but I do remember that it was similarly off. In college I was thinking about changing my major from mathematics to biochemistry (which I ultimately did) when my academic advisor suggested geography for me. Where did that come from?????

Post a Comment