Bloggy Version of Hamlet

June 28, 2012 by Rieshy
.

I was trying to think of another mom who might want to start running with me when it occurred to me that I have several young women closer to home and easier to coordinate schedules with.  Duh,  a houseful of teen girls.  I convinced/enticed/guilted my two older teen daughters to do the coach potato to 5 k challenge with me.

What better time to start running than at the end of June?   The one running class I took in college was called walk/jog/run but affectionately called jog/run/die by everyone who survived it.  I took it as a summer course, in West Texas.

I'll never forget running a timed 5 mile run at 3:00 p.m. dropped off in the middle of nowhere with 3 men from my class.  The teacher did not run the course with us, claiming administrative work, so we had to make it back to campus alive to record our time with the teacher.  I ran that run in blistering heat in record time.  Such good time in fact that my teacher accused me of lying and wouldn't accept my time.

I ask you- how fast would you run if you were a small female alone on a barren stretch of highway with vultures circling (literal vultures, this was the dessert) and your classmates barely a smudge on the horizon?  I booked it.  If I hadn't been so worn out and sick to my stomach by the time I made it back to my ice-tea slurping teacher I would have socked him.  I wish I had at least thrown up on him but there was no moisture left in my body.

I've heard recently that my college alma mater has done away with graded P.E. classes. Maybe other small females were more successful with their upchucking.

Our running will be far gentler and vulture-less.  I won't be motivated by fears of ruining my GPA if my running isn't fast enough.  In fact I can't think of how I'm going to stay motivated, except that my daughters will chide me and now;

I've blogged it, therefore I am.









Posted in Labels: | 2 Comments »

2 comments:

CristyLynn said...

If I were in TN, I'd be happy to run with you! I started with the couch to 5k program, and now I'm getting ready to run my first 1/2 marathon on Wednesday. Push through the yucky beginning, and you can do anything! (as long as you also do lots of stretching, that is)
Have fun!

Rieshy said...

Wow Cristy, I'm impressed. You give me hope! I have to admit that I was more out of shape than I realized but I had also forgotten how fun it is to run. We are just aiming for a 5K in the Fall.

Post a Comment