Worried Racoons

December 5, 2011 by Rieshy
.


Define Righteousness: Why?

Let's backtrack. Sunday I listened to a lesson on worry by Craig Evans. He got me to thinking... drat that man...

So Righteousness-
James 2:23 "And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend."

On Worry, righteousness pops up again-
Christ says in Matthew 6:25, 33-34 "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink nor about your body, what you will put on... But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

Webster defines righteousness as 1. acting in accord with divine or moral law: free from guilt or sin.

I like Abraham's route to righteousness. Faith ought to be easier than Webster, right?

Buuuuut, faith in the Creator requires a submission of the spirit. I Peter 5:6, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him for he cares for you."

Cares for me, wow. But just doing what the day requires and letting go of my invisible and completely imaginary hold over the possible happenings of the future? That's a different matter.

The funny thing is that even if I am unable to trust God to care for me; as Christ says in Matthew 6:27, "Which of you by worry can add one cubit to his stature?"

Evidently, I'm not quite as smart as the racoon in Where the Red Fern Grows. -The one that was trapped by the butter churn because it wouldn't let go of its handful of butter. At least it was smart enough to try holding onto something yummy...


.
Posted in Labels: , | 0 Comments »

No comments:

Post a Comment