Risky Business

October 12, 2015 by Rieshy
.


Something unusual happened this weekend.  On Saturday afternoon my husband and I drove our two youngest out of town to spend the night at a big sister's house so she could take them to a children's symphony and feed them lots and lots of sugar.

That in itself was not unusual; my two oldest children both live on their own in different cities within driving distance and regularly invite siblings for a night out.  However,  this Saturday the planets aligned, deer bowed their heads in awe throughout the State of Tennessee at precisely 5:00 p.m., and the prophecy of the recent blood moon was fulfilled; two of our other children were out of town hiking and the fifth child had a late date.  That made seven children accounted for and most importantly, simultaneously NOT AT HOME.

Yes, my husband and I had sole possession of our house for a full half-day.   For the first time ever as a mom I told a child, "Do NOT come home early from your date."  This of course reminded her of a scene from "Failure to Launch" and she was very very afraid....

My husband and I felt like adults.  We could watch what we wanted.  Everything we put down stayed where we put it.  It was like.... we owned our own home.  We finished conversations. 

It was everything I ever dreamed it could be.

But, I did leave a block fort barricaded by army jeeps in the center of the den.  My husband and I stepped over it all evening- because it was nice to know that our house mates would be coming home.




., 

No comments:

Post a Comment