Faith and Prof. Trelawney

March 10, 2014 by Rieshy
.


I ran across one of the bravest prayers in the Bible recently.  

Psalms 139:23

"Search me oh God and know my heart;
test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting."

If I were to be a character out of Harry Potter I'm afraid it would be:

and not just because of the frizzy hair but because Trelawney desperately doesn't want anyone to discover that she may actually be a fraud.  She herself is not sure thus she vacillates between pride and despair.

Asking God to know my thoughts?  It's funny, really- because he already does.  But he's a jealous God and likes to be asked.  I want to be so brave.



I really like how this Psalm reads in the heutigem Deutsch translation, it seems more powerful- though maybe it's just the accent:

Durchforsche mich, Gott, sieh mir ins Herz,
prüfe meine Wünsche und Gedanken!
Und wenn ich in Gefahr bin,
mich von dir zu entfernen,
dann bring mich zurück auf den Weg zu dir!








.
Posted in | 1 Comment »

1 comment:

CristyLynn said...

Ok, so while munching on my pb&j for lunch as my kids "rest" in their separate ways, your post made me nearly choke with tears. I had just read this Psalm before making said pb&j because my heart was crying out to God for help, and this prayer echoed my anxiety. Thanks for sharing! I only wish I knew German. ;)
Oh, and the whole discovered as a fraud thing; yeah, that, too.

Post a Comment