An Observation of Bruises

October 2, 2016 by Rieshy
.


Because I'm a klutz with a tendency to be anemic, because I do mixed martial arts and because I play jujitsu, sometimes I have visible bruises, bumps and/or mat burn.

Not all the time and not always spectacular.  It's amazing what eyeshadow and a tan can cover.  My 17 year old daughter has gotten quite adept with a kit she bought me for christmas.  I don't even know what the tubes and powders are supposed to be for- for normal women- but they work great at covering the marks left by leg locks, thai kicks, accidental elbows, tight grips and gi chokes.

When I bother to use it.

When I don't I've observed some interesting phenomenon while out and about in my suburban area.

Mostly people are embarrassed and avoid looking.  You get your coffee really quickly from the barista when you pay with a complete 5 finger handprint bruise on your forearm.

People get overly friendly and talk to you like you have the brain power of a daffodil.  A trashy daffodil.

Then the really freaky one- you get oddly calculating looks from men. Very unpleasant.

The rarest response?  A friendly, "How did you get that bruise?"

If you have your young children with you while visibly bruised?  Angry.  People jump to angry.   You  see it happen quickly; they notice the bruise, their eyes narrow as they hand you your change and their normal smile flattens.  And they say Nothing.

Humans are weird; I don't know why God puts up with us.



.


Posted in | 1 Comment »

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Assumptions and fear. A troubling combination.

Post a Comment