Oh Bwunhilda you're so Wovwee

February 27, 2012 by Rieshy
.


Reading week: 9


All I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.  Until recently.

Two weeks ago I read the Niebelungenlied.  It was written somewhere around 1200 and much of it was based on tales from the 5th and 6th centuries.  A supposedly sort of German Ilyiad.  Wagner used many of the main characters to write The Ring Cycle operas.


 The Ring of the Nibelung, translated by Andrew Porter and published by Norton and Company, is a great side-by-side German/English translation of all the operas that make up The Ring Cycle.  It was a quite enjoyable read.  I loved Wagner's Brunhilde but I wonder if the women in Wagner's life were bi-polar.

 I'm hankering to watch Bugs Bunny again- now that I know who he was pretending to be.  Alas, the U-tube links to "What's Opera, Doc," have been removed.

I did find free podcasts of the actual opera. Just google it- it's amazing how many recordings are out there. Because of how the the translation by Andrew Porter is organized it's really easy to read along with the opera.  I feel so cultured now.

Time to go watch an episode of Firefly.


Happy reading!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment