Flummoxed

August 24, 2011 by Rieshy
.

Last night I was reading a book about the planets to my 3 and 5 year old.  They were seated to each side of me, slurping down their before bed snacks. 

We came to a page with a picture of the whole solar system.  Things were going well.  I asked a few questions about the sun that my 5 year old answered confidently.  Then...

Then as usual he stumped me.  My 5 year old pointed to Mercury.  "How would I die there?"

What?  I tried to brush the question off and we moved on to Venus.  Again, "How would I die on Venus?"

"Well, you wouldn't be able to breathe there..."  He interrupted me, "Would I burn up?"  He made a weird choking face to illustrate.

O.k., moving on.  But with every new planet the same gory questions about possible cause of death.  12 year old listening from the kitchen and making death-throe sounds didn't help.

All I can say is that teaching little boys does not remotely resemble teaching little girls.


.


No comments:

Post a Comment