What Was I Thinking?

August 9, 2010 by Rieshy
.

I remember vividly thinking, "What was I thinking!!!",  as my husband headed out the door to take my mom back to the airport almost 19 years ago.

I had a body not-so healed from an emergency cesarean,  a new-born-first-born baby, and a strong desire to fling myself flat on the ground in order to hold onto my mother's ankles so she could not walk out the front door.

We made it.  My new-born baby's been house-sitting and working in another town for the past couple of weeks.  He starts college soon, and at least appears to have suffered no permanent damage from being raised by totally clueless parents.

We have more clues now.  Thanks to our firstborn, our guinea pig.

Today's our first full day back to school.  Minus my college son, I have a 3rd, a 5th, a 9th and an 11th grader along with my 2 pre-schoolers. Once again I find myself wondering/silently screaming...

What was I thinking!!

The thing is, at this point I can look back at all the fun the years with my children have been.  

I can look back and really understand how quickly the years speed by.  Because no matter how many older people tell you that, when you're holding your first baby and haven't slept in a month, you don't believe and maybe can't understand what they are saying.

Even if I can't remember what I was thinking, right now I'm thinking I adore school supplies and the smell of markers and new books, and I'm thinking that this year will be another grand adventure spent with people I love.

And if my children are cranky and threaten to burst my bubble when they wake up- I'll just give them extra chores...  

Years of perspective is a grand thing.


1 comment:

Melanie said...

You are a blessed woman and blessing to your children, husband, extended family and friends. I count myself lucky to know you. I want to be YOU when I grow up. LOL!

Post a Comment