Patience, Now

November 5, 2010 by Rieshy
.

My 2 year old has been running a low grade fever for a couple of days.  Anytime I put him down he's wandered behind me with his arms raised, casting a plaintive 3 foot shadow.  How many things can I not get done with my personal and beseeching 3 foot shadow?

I think I ought to blame Craig Evans for teaching about Patience recently. Thanks Craig.

I don't actually mind the shadow.  It's a sweet shadow that turns 3 years old this month.

Back to the fever.  My 2 yo's blood sugars have not been affected; he's so much stronger than my 4 year old.  An old fashioned cold- how utterly refreshing.  The prescription is cuddling, fluids and love: all things I have in spades.

It's such a joy to be able to care for my sick little one without I.V.'s and fear and waiting rooms.

The fact that my 2 year old constantly steals his 4 year old brother's cup, the fact that his cold/fever germs are everywhere is a fact that makes me think of patience.   When I was younger I always thought of patience as being the frame of mind with which we wait for something to happen.

Patience defined as a binding psychological empty space, a negative...

My 4 year old's body has never been able to handle a virus that causes an extended period of fever without requiring a hospital stay.  I don't know whether Jack will catch this cold.  If he does, I don't know whether his body will be able to handle it.  I've been learning that patience means not having to know.

Patience, in short, as the complete opposite of my earlier understanding.  Patience doesn't bind, it means living... now.  Living with freedom and joy.



.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Hope S is feeling better soon, and that J doesn't get sick. I like your picture of your "personal and beseeching 3 foot shadow".

Post a Comment