Measuring An E.R. Visit One Knit-Stitch At A Time

April 25, 2010 by Rieshy
I had to take my 4 yo to the E.R. early Friday morning.  We got back home Sunday evening.  He had a simple childhood virus that sucker punched his metabolic condition.

Just some odd hospital observations from a sleep and computer deprived woman.

This was my husband's sock when we got to the E.R.  Don't blame me if it's rather plain, he only likes boring black socks.  At least he doesn't wear them with sandals.


This was my husband's sock when we got home, 3 days later.  I figure that's about 10,000 more stitches.  Give or take a few.  Knitting socks at the hospital is tidy, interruptible, soothing, and quiet.  I can pray and think while I knit. Ending up with a wearable sock is a bonus.


One of my son's nurses was Uma Thurman.  Or her twin sister. If you can be gorgeous in scrubs, without any makeup, and wearing your hair scraped back into a pony tail, you are seriously gorgeous.

 Speaking of nurses- When you don't know you are asleep and a male nurse tries to wake you up in a dark room in order to whisper a question without waking up your son, and the male nurse tries to do it without scaring you... it doesn't work.  Oh,  and when you jump 10 feet and stifle a gasp, so does he.

To the mother of the sweet little girl in the adjoining room who shared our bathroom- I'm soo sorry!  I know every 437 times my son had to use the bathroom and locked our side of the door,  your daughter woke up and asked you, "What's that noise?  Who is that? What are they doing? Why...?"  We weren't intentionally torturing you, the I.V. fluid goes right through him.

If your child can't be discharged until they start eating, try visiting the food court.  My son thinks it's weird to eat in bed but "going out to eat" is fun.


 If you drive your baby to the E.R. in the middle of the night and park in a really big parking garage, and if you happen to be driving your husband's Toyota that looks like every other Toyota ever made, and if you haven't slept in 3 days; you will not be able to find the car when you leave.  If you want to look stupid and possibly dangerous, wander a parking garage with luggage, a coffee mug, and a child wearing hospital clothes, while you wave your automatic car key over your head mashing the button every few steps.

Last but not least.  We went to the hospital's Sunday worship service.  The chaplain said that if you don't learn to put your trust in God you are putting faith in fear.  I'm still thinking about it.  Either it's profound or I'm really tired and it's just something The Sphinx from Mystery Men would say.





10 comments:

Unknown said...

MYSTERY MEN! I LOVE THAT MOVIE! LOVE! LOVE! I thought I was the only one! Oh wow.
but really I was just going to comment to tell you that I'm praying for you and I'm glad you are out. Hope you get some sleep!

Your son is ADORABLE.

Cheeseboy said...

Ha ha! Great Sphinx reference.

There is something about eating in a food court rather than in a hospital bed. I don't blame him at all.

Melanie said...

So sorry you had a rough weekend! Glad to hear your home again. Obviously, I'm out of the loop as I've never heard of Mystery Men : )

CristyLynn said...

Glad you're back home! The sock looks great. :) (and I'm so relieved that he doesn't wear them with sandals, though, unfortunately he could totally get away with that in Russia, but that's another comment.

I'll be praying for you as you get back into the swing of things at home, which will hopefully include some sleep and no more yucky viruses!

Rieshy said...

Melanie, for your teenaged son's sake, you must watch Mystery Men!

Betsy said...

So glad that he is home. I have been praying for all of you.

Alexandra said...

I know what you mean. With our ER visits, I'm learning (though it's easier to convince myself when the ordeal is over) that to worry and be fearful is to say to God's face, "I don't trust you."

I can't do that.

Keep up the good fight.

Happy he's home. Rest now.

Janice said...

What a great post. I was lucky only to have one visit to hospital with my youngest son, but all those things you say are still there with me. Hope the sock doesn't get finished too soon IYSWIM!

Anonymous said...

I knew it. I just knew something happened. I kept checking your blog all weekend for a new post. I am so sorry for you both.

Glad you are home. I hope you got a lot of sleep today!!!!!

You were totally hating the Uma nurse, weren't you? I would have. No one should look that good.

amy said...

I like your shoes, gorgeous.

Post a Comment