Do Birkenstocks Go With Cowboy Hats?

May 14, 2010 by Rieshy
My Dad came through town the day after my parents-in-law were here.  He's kind of like a rock star to my Littles.  He drives a shiny red pickup, wears a cowboy hat and boots, and he generally has hunting equipment with him.  Pretty exciting stuff.

One of my young sons asked me if my Poppa was a policeman.  "No," I answered.

"Is he a soldier?" was the next question.

"No."

Then there was a long pause and my son looked a little worried for a moment before he asked in a timid voice, "Is he a bad guy?"

That's when I realized that in our suburban and yuppy-ish environment we didn't have enough categories.  My son didn't have a name for, "responsible retired professor with a family farm in Texas who occasionally has to kill rabid or sick or hurt animals out where there are no city services".  Nor did my son have a category for, "responsible hunter who hunts for the table".

I guess my social study's Scope and Sequence failed us.  That's okay, the fail made for all sorts of fun jokes about Poppa and possible new career paths.



In answer to this post's title: if you are raised on a farm in West Texas but spend your adult life teaching graduate school on the East Coast then Birkenstocks can definitely go with your cowboy hat- but only if you are strolling with  your grandchildren.  They will, of course, have license to tease you.


This is my mishmash of a recent memory for The Girl Next Door Grows Up's Feel Good Friday.  My dad visiting is always a reason to feel good.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

MY dad and Grandpa turned my old room at home into a reloading room where they make their own bullets.
My Grandpa was a high school superintendent, so maybe it's something educators do to deal with tense days among immature people? Oh wait, yours did the graduate school thing...hmmm. STiLL APPLIES?
Just kidding.

Cheeseboy said...

Bad guy?? That is priceless. I think that my sons would WANT their grandpa to be a hat toting bad guy.

CristyLynn said...

I love how your little guys think! :) Glad you had a visit from your dad; such a special treat, I'm sure!

Rieshy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aiming4Simple said...

Love this perspective! I shared this as a Facebook link, dedicating it to anyone else who defies suburban categories or is related to retired professors. Both are true of me, adding to the reasons why I enjoyed your words today so much!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sad that we have to put people in categories? I try not to. I really do. I teach the girls to base their opinions of people by how they act.

But some people should still not wear spandex and I hate myself for thinking it.

Post a Comment